In addition to being the easternmost region of Italy, Apulia, with its approximately 800 km of coastline, is one of the most developed Italian coastal regions. The coast alternates between rocks (as in the Gargano) and cliffs (in the south of Bari and in Salento), with some sandy beaches (as along the Gulf of Taranto).
In 2010 the Ministry of Health declared 98% of the Apulian coast suitable for bathing.
Molfetta Outlet Village
In this typically Mediterranean setting, the ancient traditions of southern Italy combine with the latest trends in fashion and lifestyle. It is a place where the pleasure of shopping is enhanced through generous hospitality and exclusive services.
Trulli of Alberobello
Alberobello (‘Ajarubbèdde’ in the Bari dialect), is an Italian village of about 11,000 inhabitants in the province of Bari, Apulia, at the heart of the Valle d’Itria and Terra dei Trulli.
Bari is famous as the city where the relics of Saint Nicholas rest. This privilege has made Bari and its basilica one of the favorite places of the Orthodox Church in the west.
Bari has a solid mercantile tradition and has always been a focal point in trade and political and cultural contacts with the Eastern Europe and the Middle East. Its port is now the largest passenger port of call in the Adriatic Sea. Since 1930, the Fiera del Levante has been held in Bari. More recently, the city became the headquarters of the Secretariat for the Pan-European Corridor VIII.
The historic downtown area, known as Bari vecchia, is permeated with a long history and is in contrast to the 19th century Murat quarter, which is arranged in an ordered grid pattern and best interprets the city’s commercial tradition. After the second world war, the rapid and often uncontrolled urbanization made the modern part of the town less regular, as it developed beyond the Murat district.
Trani is known as a city of art due to its artistic and architectural beauty that recalls a glorious past.
The Cathedral of Trani (also known as the Cattedrale di San Nicola Pellegrino) is the most prestigious building in the Apulian city. It is a fine example of Apulian Romanesque architecture . The cathedral’s construction is linked to Saint Nicholas the Pilgrim, who lived during the era of Norman rule. The cathedral held a repository of relics housed in the crypt below, including the remains of the oriental martyr Santa Febronia . Today you can still admire a precious reliquary of the eighteenth century and an oval painting depicting it at the Diocesan Museum.
Castel del Monte
Castel del Monte is a 13th century construction built by Emperor Frederick II in Apulia. Today, it is located in a frazione of the same name in the village of Andria. It is 18 km from the city near the town of Santa Maria del Monte on a hill on the western Murge plateau 540 meters above sea level.
Added to the list of national Italian monuments in 1936, it was named a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1996.